There was a frog that lived in a shallow well.
” Look how well off I am here ! ” he told a big turtle from the Eastern Ocean. ” I am master of the water and lord of this shallow well, What more can a fellow ask for? Why do I want to leave the well ? “
It was only until the turtle took the frog outside of the well (or told the frog what were outside) that the frog realized how big the world was.
It means a person who cannot see the world or things in big picture
- A son who was born and raised in a small place like Hong Kong told his father ”I do not want to be a frog in the well. I want go t o a university in the United States to further my studies and see what life is like outside Hong Kong.”
- A member of Italki or LiveMocha wrote in his profile “I do not want to me a frog in the well. I am learning Chinese so that I get to know more about the Chinese culture and the people of China”.
- A New Yorker laughed at a man from a small town “You are a frog in a well. You don’t know how big New York is.”
- A teacher told his students “You must study hard and read more otherwise you will be a frog in the well.”
- A person thought the bank of his country was the biggest bank in the world. He was told “You are a frog in the well. Don’t you know that the three largest banks in the world by capitalization are Chinese banks”.